YouTube Captioning Tools

Ben Hubbard Ben Hubbard

YouTube Captioning Tools

Hello All,

I am writing to follow up on an earlier thread on the Opencast mailing
list regarding YouTube's Automatic Captioning Tools. As promised, I am
making a list of several UC Berkeley videos that have utilized the
Automatic Alignment and Automatic Caption Tools. This list and a brief
explanation of the tools is available via our departmental blog at the
following URL:

http://ets.berkeley.edu/blog/caption-tools-youtube-whole-lot-promise lists

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Please feel
free to respond to this thread or comment on the blog post with comments
or questions.

--
Kindest Regards,
Benjamin Hubbard

Clemens Gruber Clemens Gruber

Re: YouTube Captioning Tools

Hi Benjamin,

thanks a lot, really impressive! For the people who want to try it our:
The handling is a bit tricky. In YouTube you have to navigate over the
triangle left side form the CC logo. Now you can select "transcribe
Audio" It's not enough to switch captions on!

Regards
Clemens

--
Clemens Gruber (Dipl.-Psychologe)
   Zentrum fuer Informationsmanagement

Heger-Tor-Wall 12, Raum 42/209, D-49074 Osnabrueck

E-Mail:  [hidden email]

Telefon: (05 41) 969-6505 oder
          (05 41) 969-6501 (Sekretariat)
Fax:     (05 41) 969-16505

sallyh sallyh

Re: YouTube Captioning Tools

YouTube’s new feature for new videos uploaded using the closed captions feature, allows you to click on the "transcript" button to expand the text of the transcript.
If you click on a line of text, YouTube shows the excerpt from the video corresponding to the text.
This adds the ability to search inside the video using the browser ‘find’ option.

Do you know if there will eventually be a YouTube API to access the information created by this interactive transcript tool?

I'd also like to reuse the caption file created by YouTube for our iTunes videos (mp4). Has anyone else done this?

I’ve transcribed the Xerte Online Toolkits video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVD_nSLINms so that you can see the results.

An interesting comparison of the difference between human transcript creation and YouTube’s beta ‘Transcribed audio’ functionality may be seen by viewing the same video where the captions are provided using the automated transcription service. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zReJABMKDn0

Sally Hanford
Information Services
University of Nottingham
King's Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham
NG7 2NR

[...]

Ben Hubbard Ben Hubbard

Re: YouTube Captioning Tools

I don't have any inside information, but was just looking through YouTube's API reference guide and came across this:

http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/2.0/reference.html#captionsp

It seems that, at the very least, you should be able to leverage the APIs to search on terms in videos filtered by videos with captions. Taking it a step further, using the "link" tag allows you to determine which videos have caption tracks and the "lr" tag allows you to request a list of those caption tracks in the specified language:

http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/2.0/reference.html#youtube_data_api_tag_link

&

http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/2.0/reference.html#lrsp

It's not clear to me (perhaps someone out there could clear this up) whether the caption tag actually searches for terms in the caption track or is just another filter for searching terms (keywords, titles, descriptions, etc.) on captioned videos?

I'd also like to reuse the caption tracks available for download for content on webcast.berkeley and on iTunes U. Has anyone out there been able to convert a YT caption track to .scc or another format that can be used for this purpose?

sallyh wrote

Josh Holtzman Josh Holtzman

Re: YouTube Captioning Tools

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Ben Hubbard <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

I'd also like to reuse the caption tracks available for download for content
on webcast.berkeley and on iTunes U. Has anyone out there been able to
convert a YT caption track to .scc or another format that can be used for
this purpose?

Matterhorn's caption conversion service can currently convert from timed text (DFXP) to subrip (SRT) captions.  Nejc Skofic from JSI has also done work to enhance the mp4v2 library so it can handle merging SRT files with quicktime containers.  So by the 1.1 release, we should be in good shape to take caption files in any reasonably common format and merge them into any reasonable common container.  That's the goal, at any rate!

Josh

Schulte  Olaf A. Schulte Olaf A.

Re: YouTube Captioning Tools

Dear Josh

Would you happen to know whether TTML (1) is one of the “reasonable common container” you mention? I don’t even know whether it is a container, so pardon my ignorance, but the background is that some speech-to-text systems use this format and it would be interesting to know whether they could work with Matterhorn.

Regards

Olaf A.

(1) http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/

Jack Barokas Jack Barokas

Re: YouTube Captioning Tools

Hi all,

I tried do update our installation and run through all the process again. During the 3 party tools installation I got the following error (disconnected ).

A went through this twice and run in the same problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Jack

Tesseract installed successfully.

Installing ocropus 0.1.1

--2010-07-18 19:08:17--  http://downloads.opencastproject.org/3rd%20Party/ocropus0.1.1.tar

Resolving downloads.opencastproject.org... 129.132.178.171 Connecting to downloads.opencastproject.org|129.132.178.171|:80... connected.

Length: 29409280 (28M) [application/x-tar] Saving to: `ocropus0.1.1.tar'

44% [============================>                                      ] 13,062,976  3.67M/s   in 3.4s

2010-07-18 19:08:20 (3.67 MB/s) - Connection closed at byte 13062976. Retrying.

--2010-07-18 19:08:21--  (try: 2)  http://downloads.opencastproject.org/3rd%20Party/ocropus0.1.1.tar

Connecting to downloads.opencastproject.org|129.132.178.171|:80... failed: Connection refused.

Resolving downloads.opencastproject.org... 129.132.178.171 Connecting to downloads.opencastproject.org|129.132.178.171|:80... failed: Connection refused.

3rd party tools installation failed.

root@opencast:/opt/matterhorn/matterhorn_trunk/docs/scripts/3rd_party_tools/linux# ^C

Jack Barokas Jack Barokas

[Opencast] problem during recent installation

Hi,

After several attempts that   I made this morning the installation of 3 party tools ended successfully, apparently the problem was some kind of communication problem.

Thanks

Jack

John Foliot John Foliot

[Opencast] HTML5/Media Formats (was RE: YouTube Captioning Tools)

Hi All,

Hopefully some answers:

.SCC is a binary format caption file also known commercially as the Line 21 caption file (used in commercial TV).  Once you have a timed-text file (as a flat text document) it needs to be encoded as a SCC file;  See the following for more details: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=45511 Normally done as a command-line process, there are a very limited number of GUI tools that also create SCC.

Adding SCC content to media files requires a ‘recompilation’ of the video asset.  See: http://captioning.stanford.edu/captionutube.php for our tutorial. NCAM has also developed a PDF that outlines the steps to integrate subtitles and SCC files into MOV and M4V files:

http://ncam.wgbh.org/file_download/103 [PDF]

*****

TTML (Timed Text Markup Language) is also known as DFXP and is an XML based time-stamp format that is a Candidate Recommendation at the W3C (http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/).  It is one of a number of limited formats under consideration for HTML5 by the W3C, although likely at best HTML5 would support a profile of the specification. This topic is in extreme flux at this time, but I will be sure to keep the list up to date on developments when I have developments to share.  J

“Wrapper” formats are files which contain both encoded media (using a CODEC such as H.264, THEORA or VP8) as well as other asset related files (such as caption files, etc.) – and include .mp4, .ogv (ogg), or the newly launched WebM (http://www.webmproject.org/) Of course, there are other file formats (QT for example), but for purposes of HTML5 video, these 3 should be monitored closely: at this time no one browser natively supports all 3 (and likely never will), and HTML5 has not yet specified a required codec. That said, betting folks should watch WebM closely – owned and Open-Sourced  by Google (Chrome), it also has support in Opera and Firefox (http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2010/05/19/open-web-open-video-and-webm/) as well as Adobe’s Flash (http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform/2010/05/adobe_support_for_vp8.html).  There is no word yet from Apple nor Microsoft – the last heard from them (that I am aware of) is continued support for H.264 encoding only.

For Consideration:

From some points of view, ensuring caption files are embedded into the wrapper format ensures that the caption files does not get separated from the media asset – import for videos that might be shared extensively. Since this is always a post-production process, it should be accounted for in work-flow scenarios.  HTML5 will soon be proposing a JavaScript API that will allow for the ‘extraction’ and use of the captioning in web pages/browsers. This will likely appear in the W3C Draft Specification in the next weeks.

There is also an emergent proposal to also link caption files directly in HTML5 code using a child element of the <video> element, perhaps something like:

 <video src=”path_to_video_file”>

                <track src=”caption_file” lang=”en” role=”caption”>

                <track scr=”subtitle_file” lang=”fr” role=”sub title”>

</video>

(for illustration only, this is very immature)

Essentially, the JavaScript API will map the content inside the wrapper to this <track> element in the DOM.

Please note that this is all for your information only, as nothing has been committed to in the current Draft or Editor Specifications.

*****

Currently, YouTube uses their own proprietary time-stamp format (.sbv) for content in their embedded player. See: http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=100077 for more information. SBV is a flat text file very similar to SRT and is easy to edit or create/convert. I do not believe that YouTube currently offers captioned video content for files downloaded to the iPhone, so to ensure captioning of YouTube videos for the iPhone/iPad refer to the previously noted tutorials above and upload SCC enhanced files to Youtube.

Uploading time-stamp files to YouTube in formats such as SRT and TTML/DFXP will be automatically converted by YouTube into SBV

HTH

JF

============================

John  Foliot

Program Manager

Stanford Online Accessibility Program

http://soap.stanford.edu

Stanford University

Tel: 650-862-4603

---

Co-chair - W3C HTML5 Accessibility Task Force (Media)

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Main_Page