Re: [Metadata] [Opencast Matterhorn] Series Metadata (was "Series Overview")

Schulte  Olaf A. Schulte Olaf A.

Re: [Metadata] [Opencast Matterhorn] Series Metadata (was "Series Overview")

Dear All

I have marked the designated elements for series at http://opencast.jira.com/wiki/display/MH/Matterhorn+metadata+scheme+%28work+in+progress%29. I would argue in favour of adding "Description" and some temporal information about the duration of the series.

> A note about what's happening with "Exposed" metadata vs. the rest of it: Based
> largely on our interpretation of the explanation of Exposed metadata ( "In order to
> be useful, the Matterhorn default user interfaces will expose a subset of the
> specification..."), Allison and I originally assumed  that if wasn't "Exposed", it
> shouldn't be editable  in the Matterhorn Admin UIs (and did all of our design work
> based on this assumption).  Olaf, however,  feels it is crucial that all the Opencast
> Metadata be editable in the Admin UI's, and thus we now have (in essence) three
> levels of metadata:

I take the blame alright, but the consequence is also due to the wish to keep UI design consistent: With the rather long list of all elements, the third layer was born to hide these from Mary. I personally don't think that's necessary and would still consider two layers (exposed and non-exposed) sufficient - if the UI design allows for this. Judy and I are working towards this.

> 1) the metadata that is immediately in-your-face (like Title & Presenter) because it
> serves as identifying information to the admin user
> 2) the rest of the "Exposed" metadata  (stuff that most institutions will likely want
> to use) but doesn't need to be as front-and-center as the Title
> 3) the remaining Opencast Core Metadata.
> I have sketched out a few treatments of this 3-level concept at
> <http://opencast.jira.com/wiki/display/MH/Additional+Metadata+box+for+Series>
> for Series. We could (in some future iteration) do the same for individual
> Recordings.  (If the precise fields in each "level" don't meet your institution's needs
> exactly, please remember that these would be configurable.) Note that  I've also
> not really worked thru the UI elements that are needed for each one of the 3rd level
> ones (dropdown vs. field vs. date or time widget); this will be forthcoming, with
> Olaf's help.

Regards

Olaf A.