[Matterhorn-users] Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp

Denis Meyer Denis Meyer

[Matterhorn-users] Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp

Hi all,
some time ago I posted a proposal on the committers list for a new
engage player (with many positive comments on the JIRA page). Now it is
time to further plan and finally implement it. Me and Martin Abel want
to provide a basic player framework and when it is stable anyone should
be able to develop their own plugins for it.

We want the process of building the new player to be very open to the
community. We hope that many of you get involved into this process and
help us building the next generation player.
To accomplish it, our idea was to write about it in a (Wordpress-)blog -
the "Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp" - which can be found at the
following URL:

http://engagedevcamp.wordpress.com/

We will write about our ideas, technologies, the actual implementation,
the current status and other player related things and hope that the
community will provide some feedback in the way of comments. To comment
you just have to create a wordpress account (and of course write
something).
If you want to help us writing some articles or express your ideas which
cannot be done in a comment, feel free to contact me.

--
Sincerely,
Denis Meyer

cab938 cab938

Re: [Matterhorn-users] Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp

Hey Denis,

Thanks for posting this, I added your feed to my reader.  I'm keen to
see the user tracking stuff stay in matterhorn, as we're building
analytics capabilities on top of that.  Right now, that's all
integrated into the current player using a series of ajax callbacks
(which can be disabled if an institution doesn't want them).  Will you
be porting these across to the new player?

Chris

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:57:26 +0100
Denis Meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> some time ago I posted a proposal on the committers list for a new
> engage player (with many positive comments on the JIRA page). Now it
> is time to further plan and finally implement it. Me and Martin Abel
> want to provide a basic player framework and when it is stable anyone
> should be able to develop their own plugins for it.
>
> We want the process of building the new player to be very open to the
> community. We hope that many of you get involved into this process
> and help us building the next generation player.
> To accomplish it, our idea was to write about it in a
> (Wordpress-)blog - the "Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp" - which
> can be found at the following URL:
>
> http://engagedevcamp.wordpress.com/
>
> We will write about our ideas, technologies, the actual
> implementation, the current status and other player related things
> and hope that the community will provide some feedback in the way of
> comments. To comment you just have to create a wordpress account (and
> of course write something).
> If you want to help us writing some articles or express your ideas
> which cannot be done in a comment, feel free to contact me.

--
Christopher Brooks, PhD
ARIES Laboratory, University of Saskatchewan

Web: http://www.cs.usask.ca/~cab938
Phone: 1.306.966.1442
Mail: Advanced Research in Intelligent Educational Systems Laboratory
     Department of Computer Science
     University of Saskatchewan
     176 Thorvaldson Building
     110 Science Place
     Saskatoon, SK
     S7N 5C9
Denis Meyer Denis Meyer

Re: [Matterhorn-users] Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp

Hi Chris,
I will put this on my list of features, I think it is good to have some statistics about the usage.

Denis

On 19.02.2013, at 8:04 PM, Christopher Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Denis,
>
> Thanks for posting this, I added your feed to my reader.  I'm keen to
> see the user tracking stuff stay in matterhorn, as we're building
> analytics capabilities on top of that.  Right now, that's all
> integrated into the current player using a series of ajax callbacks
> (which can be disabled if an institution doesn't want them).  Will you
> be porting these across to the new player?
>
> Chris
>
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:57:26 +0100
> Denis Meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> some time ago I posted a proposal on the committers list for a new
>> engage player (with many positive comments on the JIRA page). Now it
>> is time to further plan and finally implement it. Me and Martin Abel
>> want to provide a basic player framework and when it is stable anyone
>> should be able to develop their own plugins for it.
>>
>> We want the process of building the new player to be very open to the
>> community. We hope that many of you get involved into this process
>> and help us building the next generation player.
>> To accomplish it, our idea was to write about it in a
>> (Wordpress-)blog - the "Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp" - which
>> can be found at the following URL:
>>
>> http://engagedevcamp.wordpress.com/
>>
>> We will write about our ideas, technologies, the actual
>> implementation, the current status and other player related things
>> and hope that the community will provide some feedback in the way of
>> comments. To comment you just have to create a wordpress account (and
>> of course write something).
>> If you want to help us writing some articles or express your ideas
>> which cannot be done in a comment, feel free to contact me.
>>

> --
> Christopher Brooks, PhD
> ARIES Laboratory, University of Saskatchewan
>
> Web: http://www.cs.usask.ca/~cab938
> Phone: 1.306.966.1442
> Mail: Advanced Research in Intelligent Educational Systems Laboratory
>     Department of Computer Science
>     University of Saskatchewan
>     176 Thorvaldson Building
>     110 Science Place
>     Saskatoon, SK
>     S7N 5C9
cab938 cab938

Re: [Matterhorn-users] Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp

Sounds great, Greg added these to the current player, btw, so he might
be able to provide some insight on porting them, hopefully it isn't too
onerous,

Chris

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 20:47:32 +0100

Greg Logan Greg Logan

On 13-02-19 01:49 PM, Christopher Brooks wrote:
> Sounds great, Greg added these to the current player, btw, so he might
> be able to provide some insight on porting them, hopefully it isn't too
> onerous,

Nah, shouldn't be.  The event names are all in the player and it's just
HTTP posts otherwise.  As long as the event name is short enough it will
be fine.

> Chris
>
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 20:47:32 +0100
> Denis Meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>> I will put this on my list of features, I think it is good to have
>> some statistics about the usage.
>>
>> Denis
>>
>> On 19.02.2013, at 8:04 PM, Christopher Brooks <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Denis,
>>>
>>> Thanks for posting this, I added your feed to my reader.  I'm keen
>>> to see the user tracking stuff stay in matterhorn, as we're building
>>> analytics capabilities on top of that.  Right now, that's all
>>> integrated into the current player using a series of ajax callbacks
>>> (which can be disabled if an institution doesn't want them).  Will
>>> you be porting these across to the new player?
>>>
>>> Chris

>>> --
>>> Christopher Brooks, PhD
>>> ARIES Laboratory, University of Saskatchewan
>>>
>>> Web: http://www.cs.usask.ca/~cab938
>>> Phone: 1.306.966.1442
>>> Mail: Advanced Research in Intelligent Educational Systems
>>> Laboratory Department of Computer Science
>>>     University of Saskatchewan
>>>     176 Thorvaldson Building
>>>     110 Science Place
>>>     Saskatoon, SK
>>>     S7N 5C9

Denis Meyer Denis Meyer

Re: [Matterhorn-users] Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp

I saw many of them, it shouldn't be a problem!

Denis

On 19.02.2013, at 8:51 PM, Greg Logan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13-02-19 01:49 PM, Christopher Brooks wrote:
>> Sounds great, Greg added these to the current player, btw, so he might
>> be able to provide some insight on porting them, hopefully it isn't too
>> onerous,
>
> Nah, shouldn't be.  The event names are all in the player and it's just
> HTTP posts otherwise.  As long as the event name is short enough it will
> be fine.

>> Chris
>>
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 20:47:32 +0100
>> Denis Meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Chris,
>>> I will put this on my list of features, I think it is good to have
>>> some statistics about the usage.
>>>
>>> Denis

Schulte  Olaf A. Schulte Olaf A.

Re: [Matterhorn-users] Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp

Hello Denis et al.

Kudos to you not only for the initiative towards a new engage player, but for the new form of sharing this with the community. Looking forward to an open and collaborative process - which is hopefully efficient as well.

Regards

Olaf A.

>-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

Michellezee Michellezee

Re: [Matterhorn-users] Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp

I have a question about this. Our friends at UPV have already built an html5 player with a plugin architecture (http://paellaengage.webs.upv.es/). Is there a possibility for collaboration here?

Michelle
February 19, 2013 12:49 PM
Hello Denis et al.

Kudos to you not only for the initiative towards a new engage player, but for the new form of sharing this with the community. Looking forward to an open and collaborative process - which is hopefully efficient as well.

Regards

Olaf A.

February 18, 2013 1:57 AM
[...]

Michelle Ziegmann PMP
Educational Technology Services
University of California Berkeley

Mobile: 510-502-3217
Skype: michellezee

cab938 cab938

Re: [Matterhorn-users] [Matterhorn] Re: Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp

The code base is very license friendly (ECL 2), and I think some folks
involved with Paella are on this list so hopefully they'll chime in
with Denis' plans,

Chris

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:10:12 -0800
Michelle Ziegmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a question about this. Our friends at UPV have already built
> an html5 player with a plugin architecture
> (http://paellaengage.webs.upv.es/). Is there a possibility for
> collaboration here?
>
> Michelle
> > Schulte Olaf A. <mailto:[hidden email]>
> > February 19, 2013 12:49 PM
> > Hello Denis et al.
> >
> > Kudos to you not only for the initiative towards a new engage
> > player, but for the new form of sharing this with the community.
> > Looking forward to an open and collaborative process - which is
> > hopefully efficient as well.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Olaf A.

> > Denis Meyer <mailto:[hidden email]>
> > February 18, 2013 1:57 AM
> > Hi all,
> > some time ago I posted a proposal on the committers list for a new
> > engage player (with many positive comments on the JIRA page). Now
> > it is time to further plan and finally implement it. Me and Martin
> > Abel want to provide a basic player framework and when it is stable
> > anyone should be able to develop their own plugins for it.
> >
> > We want the process of building the new player to be very open to
> > the community. We hope that many of you get involved into this
> > process and help us building the next generation player.
> > To accomplish it, our idea was to write about it in a
> > (Wordpress-)blog
> > - the "Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp" - which can be found at
> > the following URL:
> >
> > http://engagedevcamp.wordpress.com/
> >
> > We will write about our ideas, technologies, the actual
> > implementation, the current status and other player related things
> > and hope that the community will provide some feedback in the way
> > of comments. To comment you just have to create a wordpress account
> > (and of course write something).
> > If you want to help us writing some articles or express your ideas
> > which cannot be done in a comment, feel free to contact me.

--
Christopher Brooks, PhD
ARIES Laboratory, University of Saskatchewan

Web: http://www.cs.usask.ca/~cab938
Phone: 1.306.966.1442
Mail: Advanced Research in Intelligent Educational Systems Laboratory
     Department of Computer Science
     University of Saskatchewan
     176 Thorvaldson Building
     110 Science Place
     Saskatoon, SK
     S7N 5C9
Denis Meyer Denis Meyer

Re: [Matterhorn-users] [Matterhorn] Re: Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp

That would be great.
The plan is to provide the infrastructure/framework. After that we need
some developers to provide (more) plugins (e.g. a HTML5 player with a
plugin architecture!).

Sincerely,
Denis

On 02/20/2013 01:36 AM, Christopher Brooks wrote:

> The code base is very license friendly (ECL 2), and I think some folks
> involved with Paella are on this list so hopefully they'll chime in
> with Denis' plans,
>
> Chris
>
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:10:12 -0800
> Michelle Ziegmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have a question about this. Our friends at UPV have already built
>> an html5 player with a plugin architecture
>> (http://paellaengage.webs.upv.es/). Is there a possibility for
>> collaboration here?
>>
>> Michelle
>>> Schulte Olaf A. <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> February 19, 2013 12:49 PM
>>> Hello Denis et al.
>>>
>>> Kudos to you not only for the initiative towards a new engage
>>> player, but for the new form of sharing this with the community.
>>> Looking forward to an open and collaborative process - which is
>>> hopefully efficient as well.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Olaf A.

>>> Denis Meyer <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> February 18, 2013 1:57 AM
>>> Hi all,
>>> some time ago I posted a proposal on the committers list for a new
>>> engage player (with many positive comments on the JIRA page). Now
>>> it is time to further plan and finally implement it. Me and Martin
>>> Abel want to provide a basic player framework and when it is stable
>>> anyone should be able to develop their own plugins for it.
>>>
>>> We want the process of building the new player to be very open to
>>> the community. We hope that many of you get involved into this
>>> process and help us building the next generation player.
>>> To accomplish it, our idea was to write about it in a
>>> (Wordpress-)blog
>>> - the "Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp" - which can be found at
>>> the following URL:
>>>
>>> http://engagedevcamp.wordpress.com/
>>>
>>> We will write about our ideas, technologies, the actual
>>> implementation, the current status and other player related things
>>> and hope that the community will provide some feedback in the way
>>> of comments. To comment you just have to create a wordpress account
>>> (and of course write something).
>>> If you want to help us writing some articles or express your ideas
>>> which cannot be done in a comment, feel free to contact me.

Denis Meyer Denis Meyer

Re: [Matterhorn-users] Matterhorn Engage Player Dev Camp

I created an extra page where we want to gather additional features that
we want to add to the new player.
Feel free to comment and suggest other features I forgot!

Sincerely,
Denis