Implementation of audio normalization

Stephen Marquard Stephen Marquard

Implementation of audio normalization

Hi all,

The University of Cape Town will be commissioning Entwine to implement basic audio normalization in Matterhorn using sox, as described here:

The goal is to produce processed recordings with consistent audio levels, regardless of input audio levels, which may vary across different venues, recording hardware, microphones and speakers.

While it is possible to do this to some extent in the A/V hardware and/or through third-party services such as Auphonic, we believe it is an important capability to have available directly in Matterhorn.

This feature implies adding sox to the standard set of third-party tools installed for Matterhorn worker nodes.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please chime in on this thread, or add them to the JIRA.

Regards
Stephen

UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.

stuartphillipson stuartphillipson

Re: Implementation of audio normalization

<base href="x-msg://4929/"> I'd just like to say thanks! That's going to be a really valuable tool. Will there be some kind of thresholding do you think? I was just watching a recording of an empty room we had a no-show and it might be unpleasant to if they track had been normalised, to provide a louder static / air noise sound.

Cheers

Stuart Phillipson | Media Technologies Coordinator

Room 1.023 Devonshire House
University of Manchester
Manchester
M13 9PL
United Kingdom

e-mail: [hidden email]
Phone: 016130 60478

On 14 Feb 2013, at 16:01, Stephen Marquard <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

[...]

cab938 cab938

Re: Implementation of audio normalization

Just as a side comment, I'd love to see SOX added to our server, ideally called inline with encoding.

With gstreamer, sources and sinks can be any old file descriptor, e.g.:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer-plugins/html/gstreamer-plugins-fdsink.html

This is ideal for integrating with SOX, since there is no need to reencode audio multiple times, you can just write raw PCM frames to the fdsink which points to SOX, then read them from the fdsrc.  I don't know if this works with SOX's audio normalization, but if it is single pass (or multipass with metadata being output from the first pass) it might.

I'm interested in seeing SOX used to create high speed playback of audio, so I'll be watching development of this closely and would be happy to review code.

And of course, thanks for sponsoring this development, which is one of our biggest pain points (some instructor fiddling with knobs on the already finely tuned amp/matrix).

Chris

http://opencast.jira.com/browse/MH-6386